Saturday, December 1, 2007

In the Pink (or purple or orange)




The last post poking fun at Feng Shui got me thinking. This morning, I read an interesting story in the paper. Seems that Thailand's beloved aged king, his Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej the Great, was recently hospitalized. An astrologer predicted that wearing the color pink would aid the monarch's health and so, 65+ million Thais have created a run on any article of pink clothing. Factories were working day and night to supply the demand. Everybody wanted King B.A. to get better. And he did. And was photographed leaving the hospital in a natty pink shirt and blazer combo. On the Feng Shui color wheel, pink is the color of love and health. But what about other colors?

I used to be a purple person. At twelve I painted one wall of my bedroom dark lavender and was starting on the other three when my mother stopped me. "One wall I can stand, "she said, "As long as it's the wall with the door so I don't have to look at it all the tim
e." She must have sensed something because, according to Feng Shui, "...purple on the wall may trigger blood disease."

The neat-o quilt pictured here is not mine but an ebay purchase. A wonderful unknown pattern made by a quilter, first name Julie, in the 1970s. She told me her daughter didn't care for the quilt and that's why she was selling it. It's a doozie and lives with me in a place of honor.

Still, I loved the color purple all through school, college, and my younger years. But after turning 50, I shifted my
color allegiance, as least as far as quilting was concerned, to orange. Feng Shui believes orange is the most social color and if you use it in your home, it will promote "good conversations and good times." I don't use it in decorating however, just quilts. OK, how about good times under the quilts.

Back to pink: I do wear it, a lot (see picture). and mix it with every other color. However, I am not adventurous when it comes to make-up. For my glam shot, I was Mary Kay'd by an expert but brought my own lipstick because I only use one, the old Revlon standby Wine With Everything.



2 comments:

antique quilter said...

Hi Pepper
so happy you started a blog...hope you will continue to share pictures of your quilt collection. Love to see pictures of your studio.
Kathie

Grace said...

Hi Pepper,
Enjoying your Blog. Thanks for including me as a Charter Blog member. I heard, or read, (long enough ago not to remember where) that Orange is the Color of Change.
Grace