Sunday, December 30, 2007

Up Against the Wall


I can't believe that I've been a whole year without a design wall! Today was rainy and icky but a great day to get things done inside. We went to Lowe's and got ceiling hangers and wire. Then Rod helped me hang the white flannel design surface from the ceiling of the teaching room of the Quilt Studio space. It offers a glorious clean background for my imagination. Some folks use quilt batting as a design surface but give me white cotton flannel any day! Seems the right gesture for starting the New Year too-a huge white surface to play on.

If you want a design wall, purchase a full-size flannel flat sheet and wash it twice in detergent without softener. Then toss the flannel, plus a pair of white acrylic sport socks, into the dryer and let 'em fry till very dry. When the flannel comes out, it will be crackling full of static and stick to your hair and clothes--just what you want in a design wall. Since my sheet was already hemmed, I just put a white pipe down the hem and hung the sucker. Now I can toss patchwork pieces at the wall from three feet away and they stay put. Warning: a freshly-washed design wall has so much static that your kitty walking past could get a nice spark!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.