Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Eclipses and Meteor Showers

No, Chicken Little, the sky is not falling. The above title, Eclipses and Meteor Showers, is the title of a 5 day class I'll be teaching this summer at the John C. Campbell Folk School. The class goes from August 16-22. Here's a link to the history of this unusual institution http://folkschool.org.

Founded in 1925 in Brasstown, North Carolina, John C. Campbell offers everything from basketmaking to blacksmithing to quilting, lots of different art courses, and even cooking classes. I am really looking forward to teaching for days straight and intend to help students get a lot done. My class centers on quilt designs using the venerable Drunkard's Path pattern but in fresh and interesting compositions. We'll even stretch a quilt on a frame and try hand quilting. But no dull Drunkard's Path quilts for me--I'd just as soon be sentenced to purgatory as make a quilt in only two colors!

The Eclipse of the title is this quilt but I'm already hip-deep in revamping this beauty and making another in vague far-eastern colors and print. The Meteor Shower part means combining the Drunkard's Path with star blocks. No such thing as too much going on in a quilt.



8 comments:

Cathi said...

Meteor Shower sounds like a fascinating quilt!! I love stars and Drunkard's Path blocks so combining the two would be wonderful!

Ruth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ruth said...

Hi Pepper - Here's a link to a photo of a quilt I made a few years ago using your templates for a variation of the quilt pictured in your blog post. I used Japanese fabrics in mine (it was a Block Exchange project). fyi Ruth Dukelow

Jean Baardsen said...

Hi Pepper,
What a lovely quilt! Even though it has a lot going on in it, it has a very soothing look to it. I'm blogging now myself - hope you get a chance to take a look. "Retirement" is going wonderfully - I would recommend it to anyone. :o)
Jean

Jean Baardsen said...

Probably should have put in the url for my blog....
http://jeanbaardsen.blogspot.com/ Clicking on my name gets you to the profile. I've updated my website, too, including a new homepage. www.uncommoncloth.com
Jean

Linda said...

Now showing at the Okemos Library is a collection of curve and circles in quilts. Check Cindys' blog for good pics.

brd said...

Wow! That is an amazing quilt.

Stitchwhiz said...

I love this quilt and the title, too! I'd love to attend the class but afraid it's not in the cards for me this August. Pepper, your quilts always remind of the astronomy photo of the day at: http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ I keep it bookmarked on my toolbar and take a look each day. It's fascinating. Also, I'd like to get your take on piecing curves. Definitely gonna have to get to one of your classes sometime.