Tuesday, April 13, 2010

How to Rekindle the Flame

Ages ago I almost quit quilting. Truthfully, looking back, I was flat out exhausted, having just closed my quilt/fabric shop, Culpepper's Quilts, after seven grueling years in business. I was wondering what to do next. While I didn't want to leave the craft I loved, quilts--especially those in the magazines--were starting to look the same. If I didn't find some aspect of quilting to jump-start my interest, it was time to move on.

After studying an odd antique Irish Chain quilt, I sat down to re-draw the pattern and realized that if I worked in more than one pattern (multiple blocks) within the same quilt, the resulting effects were intriguing. Certainly enough to keep my interest. I'd found my muse. To this day I continue to work happily in multiple blocks.

While on ebay, the online auction site, I came across a seller who offered the book I wrote ("vintage quilting book") as a result of those early multi-block experiments and re-remembered just what fun it was to make those quilts and present the concept of multiple patterns to the quilt world. The book was called Crosspatch and it's still around though no longer in print.


My tastes have changed but the design concepts hold. Whether working in black and white or many colors, I love the idea that when different blocks are sewn side-by-side, the sum is greater than its parts. Beautiful medallion quilts are especially easy to design using Crosspatch methods and the class is still really popular today. In the coming year, I'll teach the class Two Block Quilts at least six times.




I still love to doodle and sometimes the result is almost overpowering. A whole evening can pass as I color graphs. It's kind of like walking a mandala. The act of designing and playing with colors has a calming effect on me. I didn't know when to stop when I designed the piece called If Parrots Made Quilts. The quilt is 92" square and you tend to love or hate it.








The auction for the old copy of Crosspatch is still up on ebay if you're interested. The auction number is 260576446979.

7 comments:

Jean Baardsen said...

I love it! Don't remember seeing this one before. Wish I knew where my quilt muse had gotten to....

Carol Sc said...

I still have sketches of my "crosspatch" quilts and have used the concept more than once. Glad you introduced me to it and am happy that you are still teaching it! Spring has come to Michigan --- great joy!

Pepper Cory said...

And I still appreciate your efforts on that Crosspatch sample, Carol. Always super to hear from you.

Bonnie said...

I have never gotten good at combining two blocks, but I do try to make one block make another block. I like to have interlinked blocks that seem to be two blocks combined. Is this the same or not? Maybe I just have to come to it from a different perspective. Still go thru this book from time to time and enjoy the pictures. Bonnieb

Pepper Cory said...

Bonnie-With your talent and color wisdom, you don't need the 'crosspatch muse.' Keep doing what you do! FYI for other readers: Bonnie made the quilt that's on the back of Mastering Quilt Marking (C&T 1999) and her Pickle Dish quilt was the cover of The Quilt Engagement Calendar 1990.

Anonymous said...

Pepper, I'm very glad you didn't give up on quilting when you had that urge. You cannot imagine how our quilt world would have suffered! I LOVE your Drunkard's Path diverse settings which I've used many times. Daisy DeHaven

annee said...

Pepper, Your book Crosspatch inspired an early and much loved quilt I made many years ago!!! Quilt is still used every day and lovingly cared for. Thankyou for inspiring me!!!!!!!! I find I too am in and out of quilting....always trying to push my creative juices...sometime to no avail. I am inspired by all the creativity I see on blogs and facebook. Keep on inspiring!!!!!! Bestest, Ann