Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Welcome Window

Today we hung a curtain across the alcove where my computer and desk are so that visitors won't be treated to views of my paperwork mess. But the absolute best moment of the day was when we hung the stain glass in the teaching room window.



Years ago, I had a little quilt shop called Culpepper's Quilts above a Walgreens drug store in downtown East Lansing, Michigan. The location wasn't ideal (up a flight of steep stairs) but it was quaint with wood floors, high ceilings, and immense windows that overlooked the busy intersection of the entrance to Michigan State University. To entice folks to come up the stairs and find the shop--especially at night--I commissioned a large stain glass window. The artist, Lorna Brown, sketched me and then came back with a full-size cartoon on paper and the stain glass piece tunred out to be perfect! Backlit at night from inside the shop, it beckoned to passersby and I often turned down offers to sell the piece.

I've moved five times since 1983 and always kept the stain glass safe. Today I unwrapped it and must admit that when it finally was in place, I got kind of teary-eyed. Welcome to the Quilt Studio!

4 comments:

antique quilter said...

That is a beautiful stain glass window!
I just bought some old Ladys Circle Patchwork and Quilting magazines and there you were a picture of you in your shop in MI!
It was fun to see that!
Kathie

Christine Thresh said...

What a beautiful window. I'm glad you hung on to it. Post a photo of it with back lighting at night.

Anonymous said...

When I saw this entry, I forwarded it to all my long time quilting friends in Lansing. They have all put your blog on their favorites. Many of us fondly remember "Culpepper Quilts" & the stained glass sign.
Phyllis O'Connor

Anonymous said...

When I saw this entry, I forwarded it to all my long time quilting friends in Lansing. They have all put your blog on their favorites. Many of us fondly remember "Culpepper Quilts" & the stained glass sign.
Phyllis O'Connor